What is Veganuary?
Veganuary is a charity inspiring people to try vegan for January and throughout the rest of the year through a month-long campaign that encourages people to try a vegan diet for the month of January. The campaign began in the United Kingdom in 2014 and has since spread to other countries worldwide. Veganuary's goal is to raise awareness about the environmental, health, and animal welfare benefits of buying vegan products, as well as to encourage people to try a vegan lifestyle, even if only for a month.
Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. This involves following a plant-based diet that avoids all animal foods such as meat (including fish, shellfish and insects), dairy, eggs and honey, as well as avoiding animal-derived materials, products tested on animals, and places that use animals for entertainment. Many people choose a vegan lifestyle for ethical, environmental, and health reasons, and it can involve not only dietary choices but also lifestyle choices such as avoiding animal-derived products in clothing and personal care items.
Veganuary participants pledge to eat a 100% plant-based diet and purchase vegan products while abstaining from all animal products such as meat, dairy, eggs, and honey. During this time, some people also avoid using animal-derived products such as leather, lanolin, and fur. Veganuary is not for vegans; anyone interested in learning more about a vegan lifestyle and considering making the switch is encouraged to participate. Many Veganuary participants enjoy the experience and decide to continue living a vegan lifestyle after the month is over. Others may decide to eat more plant-based meals, but not necessarily eliminate all animal products.
Benefits of "going vegan"?
Many people choose to go vegan because of various reasons, such as enviromental benefits, health benefits, animal welfare, and for variety and access to innovative products:
- Environmental advantages: Animal agriculture contributes significantly to greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, and water pollution. You can help to protect the environment and reduce your carbon footprint by purchasing vegan products.
- Health benefits of a plant-based diet: A plant-based diet is high in nutrients and may lower the risk of certain health conditions such as heart disease and certain types of cancer. These nutrients can be found in vegan products.
- Animal Welfare: Vegan products do not involve the exploitation of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. By purchasing vegan products, you can show your support for companies that do not use animal products while also demonstrating your concern for animal welfare.
- Variety and innovation: As the vegan market expands, there are now many vegan options for a wide range of products, including food, clothing, and personal care items. This means you have a lot of options for finding vegan products that meet your needs and preferences.
Choosing vegan products can help you align your values and make a positive difference in the world. While going completely vegan may not be possible, making an effort to incorporate more vegan products into your life can be a step in the right direction.
Going vegan for the environment
Choosing vegan products has significant environmental benefits. Here are a few examples of how veganism can help the environment:
- Greenhouse gas emissions: Animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, particularly methane and nitrous oxide. These gases trap heat in the atmosphere, contributing to climate change and global warming. You can help to reduce your carbon footprint and the amount of greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere by purchasing vegan products.
- Deforestation: Deforestation is also a major contributor to deforestation, as land is cleared to make way for livestock and feed crops. Habitat loss, soil erosion, and other environmental issues are exacerbated by deforestation. Vegan products do not necessitate the clearing of land for animal agriculture, and thus can help to reduce deforestation.
- Water usage: Animal agriculture consumes a lot of water and can have a negative impact on water quality. Vegan products use less water to manufacture, which helps to reduce the strain on water resources. For example, vegan clothing made from plant-based materials, such as linen or bamboo, may require less water to produce.
- Land usage: Animal agriculture necessitates a large amount of land in order to grow feed crops and raise livestock. Vegan products do not necessitate the use of land for animal agriculture, allowing them to be produced more efficiently and sustainably. The production of materials such as leather and wool, necessitates a large amount of land to raise livestock and grow feed crops. Vegan clothing made from plant-based materials does not require land for animal agriculture, allowing for more efficient and sustainable production.
- Chemical use: Some animal-derived materials, such as leather, are treated with chemicals that can be harmful to the environment during the manufacturing process. Vegan clothing made from plant-based materials does not require chemical treatment and may be less harmful to the environment.
Overall, choosing vegan products can help to reduce your environmental impact and protect the environment. While going completely vegan may not be possible, making an effort to incorporate more vegan products into your life can be a step in the right direction.
Animal welfare is usually the main consideration for many people when it comes to choosing vegan products. Here are a few ways in which veganism can help to improve animal welfare:
- Avoiding exploitation: Vegan products do not involve the exploitation of animals for food, cosmetics, clothing, or any other purpose. By purchasing vegan products, you can show your support for companies that do not use animal products while also demonstrating your concern for animal welfare.
- Reducing animal suffering: Factory farming, debeaking, and tail docking are all practices that can cause animals to suffer during the production of animal-based products. Vegan products do not involve these practices, resulting in less animal suffering.
- Protecting animal rights: Animals have the right to live free of human exploitation and using them for food, clothing, or other purposes should be minimized. By purchasing vegan products, you can demonstrate your support for animal rights and contribute to a more compassionate world.
Overall, purchasing vegan products can demonstrate your concern for animal welfare and contribute to the creation of a more humane and compassionate world. While going completely vegan may not be possible, making an effort to incorporate more vegan products into your life can be a step in the right direction.
There are potential health benefits to consuming vegan products and using vegan cosmetics and persona care products. Similar to non-vegan food, there are healthy and non-healthy options. Therefore, attaining the health benefits still requires meal planning and reviewing ingredients as per your dietary needs. Here are a few ways in which veganism can help to improve your health:
- Increasing nutrient intake: Plant-based vegan foods are frequently high in essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Eating vegan can help ensure that you get enough of these nutrients for optimal health. Vegan foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and legumes can help lower cholesterol. This can lower your chances of developing heart disease or having a stroke. Additionally, these higher nutrients can help lower blood pressure and can help you cut back on saturated fats and refined carbohydrates, lowering your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and other health problems.
- Fewer potentially harmful ingredients: Some animal-derived ingredients and chemicals used in personal care and cosmetics products are potentially harmful to humans. Some ingredients, for example, may be allergens or irritants, or they may be linked to health problems such as cancer or reproductive issues. Vegan products are free of animal-derived ingredients and may contain fewer potentially harmful chemicals.
- Fewer allergens: Some people are allergic to animal-derived ingredients like lanolin (made from sheep's wool) or honey. Vegan products lack these ingredients and are therefore less likely to cause allergic reactions.
- Plant-based ingredients that are high in nutrients and may benefit the skin, such as antioxidants and essential fatty acids, are found in some vegan personal care and cosmetics products. Some vegan products, for example, contain ingredients such as avocado oil, coconut oil, and shea butter, which may have moisturizing and nourishing properties.
Overall, eating vegan and using vegan personal care and cosmetics can help you reduce your exposure to potentially harmful ingredients while also supporting companies that do not use or test on animals.
The planet-based revolution means there are more vegan options available than ever before, so you don’t need to miss out on your favorite foods when going vegan - just opt for the plant-based alternatives! Check out https://veganuary.com/recipes/ for loads of recipe inspiration.
Celebrities supporting Vegauary
There have been many celebrities who have supported the Veganuary campaign and promoted a vegan lifestyle. Billie Eilish, a singer and songwriter, is one of the celebrities who has supported the Veganuary campaign and promoted a vegan lifestyle. Eilish took part in the Veganuary campaign in January 2021 and posted a video on her Instagram account encouraging her followers to try a vegan diet. Eilish has also spoken about the environmental and animal welfare benefits of a vegan lifestyle, encouraging her fans to do the same. Eilish has been vocal about her own vegan lifestyle and has encouraged her fans to make more plant-based choices, in addition to supporting Veganuary.
Some other examples include:
- Natalie Portman: Actress and animal rights activist Natalie Portman has been a vocal supporter of Veganuary and a vegan lifestyle.
- Moby: Musician and animal rights activist Moby has been a strong advocate for veganism and has participated in several Veganuary campaigns.
- Liam Hemsworth: Actor Liam Hemsworth has been a vocal supporter of Veganuary and has encouraged his followers to try a plant-based diet.
- Paul McCartney: musician and animal rights activist Paul McCartney has been a long-time supporter of veganism and has participated in several Veganuary campaigns.
- Woody Harrelson: actor Woody Harrelson has been a vegan for many years and has supported the Veganuary campaign.
- Ellen DeGeneres: talk show host Ellen DeGeneres has been a vegan for many years and has encouraged her followers to try a plant-based diet.
- Joaquin Phoenix: actor and animal rights activist Joaquin Phoenix has been a vegan for many years and has participated in several Veganuary campaigns.
These are just a few celebrities who have supported Veganuary and the vegan lifestyle. Many other celebrities have backed the campaign and encouraged others to try a plant-based diet.
Veganuary is a great opportunity to try vegan and hopefully help create lasting change for our health, the planet, and animals. So why not give Veganuary a go this year? You could be part of something amazing! Friendly reminder, if you need help knowing what products are vegan, everything sold at Wegano is 100% vegan. We take the guesswork out of it for you :)
Wegano is proud supporter of Veganuary!